My Photo
Name:
Location: Cypress, Texas, United States

Monday, March 13, 2006

Lets Talk Religion and Gambling

Some of you may find this surprising, but I am a Christian. Even more surprising to some, I am a Baptist--although I do not agree every position the Southern Baptist Convention takes.

I attend church regularly. (But, to quote a great pastor, that makes me no more a Christian than going into a garage makes me a car. I agree with that 100%.)

I volunteer every Sunday to check in chilren in the nurseryat the church I attend. I attend church Sunday morning and I return to the church Sunday evening for small group bible study. I also co-teach a bible study at my place of work and I work for a Christian company. But most importantly of all, I love the Lord, Jesus Christ.

So how can you be for legalization for gambling, you say?

I challenge anyone to show me where in the Bible it says you shall not gamble.

It is not there. What it says in the Bible, plain and simple, is that you shall place no idols before the Lord thy God.

What does that mean?

It means that you shall not place your faith in anything (including gambling), other that Jesus Christ. I believe this firmly. (If you don't and would like to know more about it, please email me.) It applies to money, sex, alcohol, drugs, material things, work and yes, even gambling.

I do not believe that there is any action that is, in itself, inherently a sin. Sin is about motive. It's about where your heart is when you act. Just because you bought a lottery ticket when the jackpot hit 67 million does not mean you sinned. If you put every dime you had into lottery tickets, such that your future depended upon the outcome, then yes, you have put your faith in a false idol and you have sinned.

Last time I checked, Jesus never once preached about outlawing conduct in which a person can engage in a sinful manner. Face it, a person can be an active servant in his church, but if his motive for serving is to bring notariety (glory) to himself, then his actions are sinful in spite of the good things that may come of his actions. Should we therefore, outlaw serving in a church?

God created man with free will. He gave man choices. He gave man the choice to do actions which can be done in both sinful and unsinful manners. Who are we to step in the place of God and say "man cannot do this action in any manner, we are taking away that choice?" "You cannot gamble under any circumstances because it can be done in a sinful manner, God must of messed up when he gave you that freedom." Doesn't fly, does it?

God knew what he was doing when he gave man the choice. Please stop taking away my God-given choices. Legalize Texas Gambling. If you do not want to do it, don't. If a brother does it sinfully, counsel him.

God bless.

paul@legalizetexasgambling.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I toally agree with you. What is wrong with Texas Legislature?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Gambling Advocate said...

I'll spell it out for you: R..E..P..U..B..L..I..C..A..N..S

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gambling Advocate blames the Republicans for the gaming laws in TX - that is not accurate. BOTH parties are to blame in this.


http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3110424.html
I have actually abandoned the GOP due to their position on gambling, and their forced "Christian Values", that was the last straw for me, I am a "CAPITALIST" Republican, and am ashamed of the party. There are certainly pro-business, secular representatives in the TXGOP, but unfortunately, NOT ENOUGH.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Gambling Advocate said...

Thanks for your comment jhar. I invite all views to post on this site.

Actually, I do not blame the Republicans for the Texas gambling laws--the laws have been around long before the Republicans took control of the Texas government. The real question is: who will change them?

I am familiar with the article that you linked--I believe it is linked on my Other Articles page on my website. That article is somewhat misleading.

In 2005, election year was approaching and the Republican leaders were desperate to come up with a solution to the school funding/rising property tax issue. Legalizing slot machines in race tracks was put on the table as a possible solution. The Democrat minority leader and a small group of Democrats voiced opposition to this plan. The opposition was a political ploy to try to prevent the Republican majority from reaching a solution to a problem that would cost many republicans the election.

In fact, numerous bills to expand gambling had been proposed by Democrats prior to that time. Unfortunately, politics are politics. The Democrats were desperate for a way to hurt the Republicans before elecion time and making the school funding issue blow up in the Republican's face was the best blow they could deliver.

Are there Democrats who oppose gambling expansion? Absolutely.
Are there more Democrats who favor gambling expansion than Republicans? Absolutely.

At the time I wrote my comment, the Republicans had control of the Texas legislature completely. The obtained control largely by aligning themselves both nationally and state-wide with the Christian Coalition. They convinced the Christian Coalition and many other Christians that a vote for Republicans was a vote for Christian values. It was excellent politics. 60% plus of the country is Christian.
Problem is, to maintain the support of the key religious leaders, you must oppose gambling.

Some Republicans have indeed realized that legalizing gambling is good for Texas. But they cannot push for it for fear of being painted as hypocrites. Unfortunately, they have painted themselves into a box they cannot get out of--even if it means sacraficing the good of the State. Thus, the best solution is to give them an out...vote them out of majority so that the Democrats 'take the fall' in the eyes of the religious leaders.

You are not alone in your frustration with the Republican Party. The franchise tax solution to the school issue was effectively an income tax for businesses. How much more anti-business can you get? Instead of offending the "christian" voters by trying to pass a gambling expansion solution, they came up with a plan that hurt and offended their pro-business voters. Kind of ironic that they abandoned the backbone of the republican party, isn't it?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Gambling Advocate said...

I should also mention (in fairness)that since the last elections rattled the Republican stronghold nationwide, even some of the historically anti-gambling expansion Republicans are switching their position on gambling. For example: Senator John Carona has seen the light.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home